Saturday, November 8

Review: Bible Illuminated: The Book New Testament

BIBLE ILLUMINATED: The Book New Testament
Forlaget Illuminated Sweden AB; 283 pages

This review comes after spending a lot of time with this book over the past few weeks, first with intial reviews from an online versions, and now with the actual publication in my hands.

This version of the New Testament is one similar to "The Way" published in the 1970's - the idea of a 'living Bible' applicable to to current events and situations. The translation is the Good News Translation (Today's English Version, Second Edition), from the American Bible Society. Unlike most Bibles, this version uses no chapter and verse notations; nor does it follow the "red letter" idea, or even the newer "green Bible" notations.
What this book does include are numerous images and provocative ideas throughout the scriptures. One section that I am excited to spend more time with is the "Eight Ways to Change the World" feature, which highlights a photography exhibition on the Millennium Development Goals. These images are laced throughout the gospels, which, I think, is the most appropriate place to talk about what world citizens are called to do to demand justice.

As I alluded to in my Part 3 review of this book, some of these images, their placement, and the use of decontextualized verses to connect them to the narrative makes me uncomfortable. Some would give credit to the publication for being something that puts the Bible in a context that individuals might be more inclined to pick up than a "traditional" Bible. I would say this is true, but want to classify it that this might only be appropriate if there is also someone to talk it over with.

Scripture contextualized to modern day needs to be discussed and understood in the greater historical tradition of the Church, and the larger story of Christianity. I wouldn't give this version of the Bible to a new Christian, or a seeking non-Christian, unless I could also make a commitment to walk through it with them. I don't think that challenging images and ideas should be absent from the Church; I DO think that the scriptural narrative as a whole has a lot to say about our lives in the world, and requires both the Old Testament and New Testament, but not a publisher's decisions about an appropriate ideological position.

I say these things with other Bible versions, like Thomas Nelsons' Revolve, in mind as well. (Check out a Christianity Today article on this from 2003.) And, of course, the Bibleman Biblezine, and Magnify, the Biblzine for kids. I think that care, moderation, and conversation is called for in any situation using these resources -- not considering them a substitute for the whole Bible, Old and New Testaments.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
(Hebrews 4:12)


If you want a chance to win your own copy of BIBLE ILLUMINATED: The Book New Testament, Corrine over at The Book Nest has one to give away.

BIBLE ILLUMINATED is also available for purchase, online and in bookstores.

1 comment:

faithful said...

Thanks for picking this one up & addressing so many pros & cons to this "version" of The Gospel. I think it is fair to say that this will reach & undoubtedly touch many who could benefit from the visual aspects, but it would be remiss to expect that the emotional reactions would always provide the Truth, the FULL Gospel of Christ.

I always wanted to "illustrate" the Bible. But creatively, and not like the Sunday School pictures. Those have their place already.

Accept, O Lord, my thanks and praise for all that you have done for me. I thank you for the splendor of the whole creation, for the beauty of this world, for the wonder of life, and for the mystery of love. Above all, I thank you for your Son Jesus Christ; for the truth of His Word and the example of his life; for his steadfast obedience, by which he overcame death; and for his rising to life again, in which we are raised to the life of your kingdom. Amen.