*****
Come and lay down the burdens you have carried
For in this sanctuary God is here
*****
And after the fire the sound of a low whisper.
*****
It has been, plain and simply, a long and exhausting week. I am so excited to take off tomorrow for Indianapolis with Becca, even though it will be short - to just be out of Chicago and away from all reminders of work will be a blessing!
But last night I was reminded of the blessings amidst the storms of life. As I was reading from 1 Kings, I came to the passage where the prophet Elijah is forced to flee to save his life, and the Lord takes him into the wilderness for 40 days. He is led to the side of a mountain, where he weathers an intense windstorm, earthquake and fire in order that he might hear the still, small voice of the Lord. Here ensues an intimate conversation between Elijah and his Creator - and he is taken care of beyond a doubt.
What strikes me, and what I strive to be able to do, is that Elijah heard that voice not right away, but he truly WAITED UPON THE LORD. So often in the height of trial and torment, I expect to see and hear God come and pick me up to whisk me away to safety. He is more than able, and has so before done. But just as often - if not moreso - he has said "wait, do you hear me? Can you wait for me?"
Elijah waited through natural disaster. Can I wait through human disaster?
1 comment:
perfect.
Post a Comment