Thursday, May 15

Reading Rainbow

Last night I finished The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult. As with most of her books, this one deals with a difficult familial issue, and is intended to be a riveting story as well. I have to say: I'm pretty much just glad I'm done reading it. I shared this with Jen this morning and she commented that she feels like Picoult has become the John Grisham of "chick lit" - churning out the books, knowing they will be bestsellers, but with less and less greatness. My Sister's Keeper and A Time to Kill both changed my life of fiction reading... not so much with the last few offerings by each author.

And, this is completely aside, but I think it is a borderline pet peeve of mine when books are titled things like The Tenth Circle: A Novel. Really? Do you need to tell us that? What else would I think it is?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand more when historical fiction is labeled "A Novel." Like "Pope Joan," for instance, that can be helpful information, or if the book is written like a memoir, but isn't. However, I agree that it can be really stupid in fiction. Nobody thinks Jodi is writing non-fiction. Come on.

Emily said...

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

Accept, O Lord, my thanks and praise for all that you have done for me. I thank you for the splendor of the whole creation, for the beauty of this world, for the wonder of life, and for the mystery of love. Above all, I thank you for your Son Jesus Christ; for the truth of His Word and the example of his life; for his steadfast obedience, by which he overcame death; and for his rising to life again, in which we are raised to the life of your kingdom. Amen.